Thursday, May 28, 2015

"Vanished"

E. E. Cooper lives in Vancouver, Canada with her husband and one very spoiled dog.

She applied the Page 69 Test to her new novel, Vanished, and reported the following:
On page 69 Kalah is thinking about when she first became friends with Beth and Britney.
Before I even knew what I was doing I reached over, grabbed her hand with her cone in it, and took a huge lick of her ice cream. As soon as I’d done it, I let go of her, horrified, but Beth burst out laughing. I remember thinking I would do anything to make her laugh like that again.
This page does represent a portion of the book- that exciting time when you are starting a new friendship and you are still trying to figure out the “rules” of the relationship. What are things that are okay to joke about? Is there a leader in the group? Are there things we don’t talk about? How much personal information do we share, or is this a friendship based on doing things together rather than talking. Kalah is excited to be invited to be a part of this group, but she also feels a bit out of her league. She’s questioning why these two popular girls want to include her and hoping that she can keep up with them.

While the book is essentially a mystery- where has Beth gone and what secrets is everyone keeping- the core of the story is about friendship so page 69 works pretty well.
Learn more about Vanished at E.E. Cooper's website.

Writers Read: E. E. Cooper.

My Book, the Movie: Vanished.

--Marshal Zeringue