Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"Amped"

Daniel H. Wilson earned a Ph.D. in robotics from Carnegie Mellon University. His books include How to Survive a Robot Uprising, Where’s My Jetpack?, How to Build a Robot Army, The Mad Scientist Hall of Fame, Bro-Jitsu: The Martial Art of Sibling Smackdown, A Boy and His Bot, and Robopocalypse.

He applied the Page 69 Test to his new novel, Amped, and reported the following:
From page 69:
“Do you ever wish that you were a regular kid? A Reggie?” I ask.

Nick snorts. “I could barely see before I got retinal. Could barely think without Autofocus. And you’re asking me if I want to have the dumbs? No thanks. I’d rather be weird and know it than be a stupid ass.”

I can’t help but feel like I’m speaking to an adult.

“What about you?” asks Nick.

“Me?”

“Yeah. You want to be a reggie?”

“It would make life a lot easier.”

Nick stops, frowns at me. “Would it?” he asks.
Amped is about a civil rights movement sparked when people with disabilities begin using neural implants that make them smarter than average people. The characters, young and old, have to come to terms with being ostracized by "regular" members of society. It's an issue being dealt with on page 69, and an issue that leads to violence and mayhem by page 269.
Learn more about the book and author at Daniel Wilson's website.

Wilson earned a Ph.D. in robotics from Carnegie Mellon University. His books include How to Survive a Robot Uprising, Where’s My Jetpack?, How to Build a Robot Army, The Mad Scientist Hall of Fame, Bro-Jitsu: The Martial Art of Sibling Smackdown, A Boy and His Bot, and Robopocalypse.

My Book, The Movie: Amped.

--Marshal Zeringue